Motorists are asked to be aware that the Route 30 construction project is continuing at a rapid pace. Construction crews were out all weekend preparing for ongoing lane shifts.
Village Engineer Will Nash highlighed the major projects at the moment:
- The contractor has begun milling and removing pavement near Retail Drive. Traffic existing the Target Lowes site has been shifted to the west allowing one lane in and one lane out.
Once the east side of the intersection is complete traffic will be moved to the east allowing two lanes to exit the site and build the west side of the intersection. The contractor anticipates completing the entire intersection in about 8 weeks. This will provide a complete intersection prior to the holiday rush.
- Marley Road is currently closed. Marley Road will be opened next week.
- Blue Stone Bay Drive is currently closed while the contractor builds the intersection up to the subgrade for the new road. This road should be open in a few days.
- Spencer Road will be closed when Marley Road is opened to allow construction of the new pavement.
- Joliet Highway is scheduled to be closed on Oct. 10 to allow the contractor to build the road up to the base for the new pavement. Joliet Highway will not close until Bluestone Bay Drive is opened.
- We are currently working with the contractor regarding the intersection of Schoolhouse Road.
The current plan was to close the road entirely to construct the intersection. IDOT and the contractor are working to provide a revised plan to construct the intersection in 2 phases allowing one lane of traffic in each direction. Constructing the intersection in phases will take approximately eight weeks.
Nash noted that all the work mentioned above is dependent on weather and the possibility of unforeseen utility issues.