The announcement of the upcoming (Heroin Education Leads to Preventative Solutions) program from 7-9 p.m. Sept. 27 at Lincoln-Way Central High School has touched a nerve for a number of Patch readers.
The Aug. 28 arrest of Lawrence Hartman, of New Lenox, who was charged with possession of a controlled substance and the intent to deliver, brought home the fact that heroin use is live and well in the southwest suburbs.
One Facebook responder speaks to the need to publicly recognize the problem.
- Steve Kolb Sr.: "Too bad that crap made it to our town, bad stuff."
Meanwhile, Facebook fans related to the Will County HELPS story by calling for action on behalf of healthy family values. They are looking to steer their children clear of illicit drugs and unauthorized use of prescription medicine.
- Jim Anderson: "Do they have D.A.R.E. programs anymore??? They seemed to help my generation. I don't remember this many young people dying when I was in HS in the mid-90's".
- Michelle Miller Dalton: "We really feel families needs to get young kids involved in organizations, such as sports, scouts, music, theatre, or clubs, to build healthy friendships and self confidence. It also occupies their time so they don't have the time to get ... into trouble. That is why my daughter is planning the event 'Find Your Child's Passion' on September 15th from 10:00 - 1:00 at Liberty Jr High."
Some readers on the New Lenox Patch website are looking to Will County HELPS as a path to head-off tragic consequences. Others are distrustful of the program, citing suspicions about government or law enforcement cover-ups.
- Eric Blair: "Of course heroin use is up, thanks to the CIA with help from certain "dark" sectors of the U.S. military in Afghanistan. The CIA along with their mid-east partner MOSSAD run the worldwide drug trade with additional help from the banking sector to "launder" the immense profits. All documented over the years but generally ignored by the willfully ignorant populace. Same with marijuana. It will never be legal. Why? Because the U.S. government hates competition."
- Ty Wagner: "Sad to say you are correct. There is a special place in hell for heroin pushers. The crap sells itself after you try it once. Your brain creates special receptors just for heroin These receptors never go away and are always hungry. It hooks you for life. Remember during Nam when they'd ship the crap back in body bags? Uncle Sam is a pusher.
"Whatever happened to all those pounds of heroin that Will County Sheriff's Dept "lost" when they had it in lock-up several months ago? As it was clearly an inside job, I'm sure someone got scolded. Not.
"Even the stuff the Dr. prescribes can be a gateway to the street version. If at all possible, stay away from: MORPHINE, CODEINE, HYDROCODONE, OXYCODONE, FENTANYL, MEPERIDINE..... If you have old scripts in your medicine cabs, throw them away (not flush) so your kids/friends won't find them."
- Lynn: "This has been going on for years in the Lincolnway area and if it wasn't for the diligence of Judge Ray Nash, I as a parent would never have heard about it. Why has it taken so long for them to hold this presentation? Recent arrests? How about the deaths of the children in and around New Lenox from this drug? I moved here from the city many years ago so that my children would have a safe community to grow up in. The amount of drug and alcohol related deaths of young people in this area is just frightening."
- Kim: "Legalize the substance, tax the crap out of it than ban it , like cigarette smoking."
- Ty Wagner: "No no noooooo. Not this crap. Ganja, maybe, but not this crap.
"Look for the lingo/texts mom's and pops--Also called:
* Chiba or Chiva
* Brown Sugar
* White, China White, White Nurse, White Lady, White Horse, White Girl, White Boy, White Stuff
* Boy, He
* Black, Black Tar, Black Pearl, Black Stuff, Black Eagle
* Brown, Brown Crystal, Brown Tape, Brown Rhine
* Mexican Brown, Mexican Mud, Mexican Horse
* Snow, Snowball
* Scat, Sack, Skunk
* Number 3, Number 4, Number 8"
What do you think about the situation? Does New Lenox have a problem with narcotics?