Many churches equate discipleship with knowledge. Churches who view discipleship as information transfer seek to stuff as much information about the Bible into as many people as quickly as they possibly can. As noble as this sounds, the essence of discipleship is transformational not informational. Jesus did not merely ask us to teach everything He commanded. He asked us to teach people to obey everything He commanded, and the difference is massive (Matthew 28:19).
The end result of discipleship is not merely the knowledge of all Jesus commanded but the obedience to all Jesus commanded.
Because of this, the men of Missio Dei Church are invited into an eight-week study of the book of Colossians where we will be understanding Paul's message to the church in Colossae and to us today.
What will it be like?
We'll do a lot to try to understand the big picture at first, and then go one chapter each week, asking questions that probe the whole group. There will be time for large and small group discussion as well as a time of teaching.
You must plan to attend every session in order to join the group.You will be asked to read the short book of Colossians at least 5 times a week for the weeks we are meeting (40 times through Colossians).
When and where?
We will be meeting upstairs fellowship room in the church building from 7:00 – 9:00 PM on the Tuesdays listed below. Before you commit, please check your calendar, clear the dates with your spouse or significant other, then add these dates to your calendar and make it a priority to attend… even if the weather is beautiful or if you are tired from a long day of work.
- [ October 16 ] Week #1 Colossians 1:1 – 8
- [ October 23 ] Week #2 Colossians 1:9 – 14
- [ October 30 ] Week #3 Colossians 1:15 – 23
- [ November 06 ] Week #4 Colossians 1:24 – 2:7
- [ November 13 ] Second Tuesday Prayer
- [ November 20 ] Week #5 Colossians 2:8 – 23
- [ November 27 ] Week #6 Colossians 3:1 – 17
- [ December 04 ] Week #7 Colossians 3:18 – 4:1
- [ December 11 ] Second Tuesday Prayer
- [ December 18 ] Week #8 Colossians 4:2 – 18
PLEASE RSVP BY TUESDAY, OCTOBER 2 SO THAT WE CAN PLAN APPROPRIATELY!