Did you know that you can bring your kids to the fire station to go trick or treating? Even the firefighters enjoy passing out treats! The New Lenox Fire Protection District has four stations, you can bring them to just the one nearest to your neighborhood or stop by all four stations and see the firefighters! (See the pictures with the addresses to all four stations to know where to take your trick or treaters).
When you take your ghosts and goblins out to collect treats make sure you follow some of the safety tips below to ensure we don't show up on your doorstep!
- Go only to well-lit houses and remain on porches rather than entering houses.
- Travel in small groups and be accompanied by an adult.
- Know their home phone number and parent's cell number.
- Bring treats home before eating them so parents can inspect them.
- Use costume knives and swords that are flexible, not rigid or sharp.
When walking in neighborhoods, they should:
- Use flashlights, stay on sidewalks, and avoid crossing yards.
- Cross streets at the corner, use crosswalks (where they exist), and do not cross between parked cars.
- Stop at all corners and stay together in a group before crossing.
- Wear clothing that is bright, reflective, and flame retardant.
- Consider using face paint instead of masks (masks can obstruct vision).
- Avoid wearing long, baggy costumes or oversized shoes to prevent tripping.
- Be reminded to look left, right, and left again before crossing the street.
Have a fun and safe Halloween!