The following is an update on the Route 30 Construction provided by Village Engineer Will Nash:
• Anderson Road is now open.
• Spencer Road is scheduled to close on Monday to build the mainline pavement gap and the connection with Spencer Road. Spencer Road should be open in two weeks.
• New concrete has been placed from the west end of the project to east of Bluestone Bay Drive. The contractor will be leaving gaps at the private driveways and side streets as required to allow access. This completes the mainline concrete pours thru New Lenox. The contractor will be filling in the gaps in the next couple weeks.
• The contractor has installed the concrete for east half of Retail Drive and has shifted traffic to this new pavement. They are currently working on excavation and placing stone on the west half of the drive. Early next week the contractor will be filling the gaps on the east side of Retail Drive. Once this is complete they will be able to open a right turn lane from Retail Drive to RT 30. This will allow more cars to stack at the light and move thru the intersection. They plan to be completed with the concrete pavement at Retail Drive next Friday. Early the week of Thanksgiving they will stripe the intersection to allow the full intersection to be used. This should all be complete by Thanksgiving.
• We are currently working with the contractor to figure out a plan to get the Right in from RT 30 open as soon as possible.
• Joliet Highway is currently closed while the contractor builds the intersection up to the sub-grade for the new road. The contractor has completed all the underground utility work and will be starting the process of placing stone and asphalt next week. They hope to have this complete by Thanksgiving. We have placed signs along RT 30 directing traffic looking to access Bluestone Commons to the entrance just west of Joliet Highway.
• Due to the closure of Joliet Highway, I have told the contractor he cannot move forward with the staged construction of Schoolhouse Road until Joliet Highway is complete. There will be concrete pavement placed just east and west of the existing pavement this year with some temporary asphalt placed to transition for the new pavement to existing pavement. The staged construction of the intersection will take place in the spring.
• The contractor is finishing storm sewer work on some side streets then will begin relocating Fire hydrants as required over the next few weeks.
• The contractor will be filling in the mainline pavement gaps and shifting entrances to Hickory Creek Plaza, Atrium Point and Peace Lutheran Church. We will continue to work with businesses and place signs as required to help traffic navigate the area.
• They will be working to place temporary asphalt pavement east and west of Schoolhouse Road to connect the existing pavement with the new concrete pavement. Schoolhouse Road will be constructed in the spring.
All the work mentioned above is dependent on weather and the possibility of unforeseen utility issues.
Any questions regarding this construction update may be directed to the Engineering Department (815) 462-6450.