If you drive by any of the four fire stations in New Lenox, you might see wreaths on the front of them with all red lights. These wreaths are not decorations for the
holidays; they are there with a purpose.
The red wreaths are a reminder for all proud Americans to be safe when decorating this holiday season. The wreaths are part of the” Keep the Wreath Red” fire safety campaign, a statewide program that reminds you to practice fire safety during the holiday season. The wreaths feature decorative red lights, and for each fire caused by holiday decorations, the New Lenox Fire Department will replace one red bulb with a white bulb. Help “Keep the Wreath Red” by following a few easy safety tips:
- Unplug holiday lights before leaving home or
- Do not overload extension cords
- Be careful with candles and open flames
- Use flame-retardant decorations
- Ensure lights are in good condition and Underwriters Laboratories (UL) listed
- Keep natural trees watered; do not rely on chemical sprays to make your
tree flame resistant
Remember to check your smoke detectors and your carbon monoxide detectors. For more information contact the New Lenox Fire Protection District at 815-463-4500, www.nlfire.com, or visit us on Facebook.