UPDATE: No Indictment for Will County Official's Son Charged in Connection with Stabbing
A grand jury decided not to indict Matthew Moustis, 18, who had previously been charged in connection with a stabbing incident in July.
UPDATE (12:16 p.m. Dec. 16): The Moustis family and attorney Jeff Tomczak will hold a press conference at 10 a.m. Friday at the Will County Courthouse in Joliet to discuss the grand jury decision. Neither the family nor Tomczak will comment on the case until then, said Brian McDaniel, a spokesman for the attorney's office.
Matthew Moustis is scheduled to appear in court at 9 a.m. Friday.
After almost four hours, a grand jury came back with no indictments Wednesday against Will County Board Chairman Jim Moustis' son, who had been charged in connection with a stabbing this summer.
Matthew Moustis, 18, was charged in July with aggravated battery after police said he stabbed Mokena resident Brandon Lauer, then 18, in the Indian Trail School parking lot in Frankfort Square. The confrontation related to Moustis' 16-year-old girlfriend, who Moustis accused Lauer of stalking, according to court documents.
Lauer suffered a 6-inch cut to the neck and a wound to the stomach in the incident.
Although reports say Moustis claimed self-defense when police arrived at his house that night, the Frankfort teen said he did not stab Lauer and had not been at Indian Trail School.
The Will County State's Attorney's Office asked Illinois' Special Prosecution Unit to handle the case because of the potential conflict of interest due to Jim Moustis' role as County Board chairman.
Eric Lauer, Brandon's father, said he plans to pursue a civil suit against Moustis and Will County for its handling of the criminal case.
"This kid (Moustis) got away with attempted murder," Eric Lauer said. "I'm so upset about it.
"My attorney has already done all the paperwork for the (civil) case. We were just waiting for a verdict today," he added.
Lauer also said he and his family will probably move out of Will County because of the toll this case has taken on everyone involved, especially his son.
"He's upset (by the decision)," he said. "He's really upset."
"I don't know how you move on past it," Lauer added. "My son's seeking therapy for the sleeping disorder he has from the nightmares. He's seeking a plastic surgeon for the scar on his neck and the one on his stomach."
A preliminary hearing for Moustis had been scheduled for Friday, but without an indictment from the grand jury, it is unlikely that any further charges will be filed against the teen.